Bonn is a medium city located in Germany with a metropolitan area population of 313,958. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Bonn on a budget of $2,917 per month, or $35,006 per year.
Cost of Living in Bonn, Germany
As noted above, the cost of living in Bonn, Germany is $2,917 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,512 for housing related costs, $451 for food, and $954 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Bonn is estimated to cost $1,103
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $361
- High-speed internet averages $48
- Typical grocery costs of $339 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $40
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $73
- Meals out are estimated to be $520 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $274 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $96
- Cinema tickets of $64 include several outings for international releases
Note that Bonn, Germany is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 98/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Bonn, Germany
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Bonn, Germany are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $875,145 to live a moderate lifestyle in Bonn, Germany.
Annual expenses of $35,006 ÷ 4% = $875,145 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Bonn, Germany is affordable coming in at $2,917 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $875,145.