Catania is a medium city located in Italy with a metropolitan area population of 315,588. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Catania on a budget of $2,143 per month, or $25,713 per year.
Cost of Living in Catania, Italy
As noted above, the cost of living in Catania, Italy is $2,143 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,042 for housing related costs, $416 for food, and $685 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Catania is estimated to cost $746
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $247
- High-speed internet averages $48
- Typical grocery costs of $319 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $52
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $45
- Meals out are estimated to be $427 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $104 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $106
- Cinema tickets of $48 include several outings for international releases
Note that Catania, Italy is a somewhat walkable city with a Walk Score of 66/100, which means you may need a car if you are living in the city center and you will probably need to use public transportation frequently.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Catania, Italy
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Catania, Italy are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $642,831 to live a moderate lifestyle in Catania, Italy.
Annual expenses of $25,713 ÷ 4% = $642,831 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Catania, Italy is affordable coming in at $2,143 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $642,831.