Cuenca is a medium city located in Ecuador with a metropolitan area population of 331,888. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Cuenca on a budget of $1,189 per month, or $14,264 per year.
Cost of Living in Cuenca, Ecuador
As noted above, the cost of living in Cuenca, Ecuador is $1,189 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $576 for housing related costs, $332 for food, and $280 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Cuenca is estimated to cost $490
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $36
- High-speed internet averages $50
- Typical grocery costs of $224 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $53
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $55
- Meals out are estimated to be $130 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $38 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $82
- Cinema tickets of $31 include several outings for international releases
Note that Cuenca, Ecuador is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 97/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Cuenca, Ecuador
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Cuenca, Ecuador are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $356,607 to live a moderate lifestyle in Cuenca, Ecuador.
Annual expenses of $14,264 ÷ 4% = $356,607 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Cuenca, Ecuador is affordable coming in at $1,189 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $356,607.