Amsterdam is a medium city located in Netherlands with a metropolitan area population of 779,808. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Amsterdam on a budget of $4,151 per month, or $49,808 per year.
Cost of Living in Amsterdam, Netherlands
As noted above, the cost of living in Amsterdam, Netherlands is $4,151 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $2,544 for housing related costs, $545 for food, and $1,062 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Amsterdam is estimated to cost $2,233
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $242
- High-speed internet averages $69
- Typical grocery costs of $394 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $56
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $95
- Meals out are estimated to be $582 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $284 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $126
- Cinema tickets of $70 include several outings for international releases
Note that Amsterdam, Netherlands is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 99/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Amsterdam, Netherlands
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Amsterdam, Netherlands are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $1,245,189 to live a moderate lifestyle in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Annual expenses of $49,808 ÷ 4% = $1,245,189 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Amsterdam, Netherlands is affordable coming in at $4,151 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $1,245,189.