Zagreb is a medium city located in Croatia with a metropolitan area population of 790,017. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Zagreb on a budget of $1,952 per month, or $23,420 per year.
Cost of Living in Zagreb, Croatia
As noted above, the cost of living in Zagreb, Croatia is $1,952 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,009 for housing related costs, $395 for food, and $548 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Zagreb is estimated to cost $711
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $263
- High-speed internet averages $35
- Typical grocery costs of $299 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $52
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $44
- Meals out are estimated to be $271 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $139 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $107
- Cinema tickets of $31 include several outings for international releases
Note that Zagreb, Croatia is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 96/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Zagreb, Croatia
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Zagreb, Croatia are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $585,504 to live a moderate lifestyle in Zagreb, Croatia.
Annual expenses of $23,420 ÷ 4% = $585,504 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Zagreb, Croatia is affordable coming in at $1,952 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $585,504.