Katowice is a medium city located in Poland with a metropolitan area population of 308,269. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Katowice on a budget of $1,538 per month, or $18,456 per year.
Cost of Living in Katowice, Poland
As noted above, the cost of living in Katowice, Poland is $1,538 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $871 for housing related costs, $286 for food, and $382 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Katowice is estimated to cost $667
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $187
- High-speed internet averages $17
- Typical grocery costs of $199 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $37
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $50
- Meals out are estimated to be $207 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $82 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $61
- Cinema tickets of $31 include several outings for international releases
Note that Katowice, Poland is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 98/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Katowice, Poland
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Katowice, Poland are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $461,400 to live a moderate lifestyle in Katowice, Poland.
Annual expenses of $18,456 ÷ 4% = $461,400 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Katowice, Poland is affordable coming in at $1,538 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $461,400.