Sarajevo is a medium city located in Bosnia and Herzegovina with a metropolitan area population of 527,049. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Sarajevo on a budget of $1,262 per month, or $15,139 per year.
Cost of Living in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
As noted above, the cost of living in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina is $1,262 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $605 for housing related costs, $298 for food, and $359 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Sarajevo is estimated to cost $390
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $187
- High-speed internet averages $29
- Typical grocery costs of $214 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $43
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $40
- Meals out are estimated to be $182 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $79 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $77
- Cinema tickets of $21 include several outings for international releases
Note that Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina is a not very walkable city with a Walk Score of 44/100, which means you definitely need a car if you are living in the city center and public transportation may not be very accessible or convenient.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $378,486 to live a moderate lifestyle in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Annual expenses of $15,139 ÷ 4% = $378,486 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina is affordable coming in at $1,262 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $378,486.