Bandar Seri Begawan is a small city located in Brunei with a metropolitan area population of 100,700. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Bandar Seri Begawan on a budget of $1,959 per month, or $23,513 per year.
Cost of Living in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
As noted above, the cost of living in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei is $1,959 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,136 for housing related costs, $446 for food, and $378 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Bandar Seri Begawan is estimated to cost $912
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $74
- High-speed internet averages $150
- Typical grocery costs of $293 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $66
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $87
- Meals out are estimated to be $185 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $51 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $116
- Cinema tickets of $26 include several outings for international releases
Note that Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei is a somewhat walkable city with a Walk Score of 57/100, which means you may need a car if you are living in the city center and you will probably need to use public transportation frequently.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $587,826 to live a moderate lifestyle in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei.
Annual expenses of $23,513 ÷ 4% = $587,826 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei is affordable coming in at $1,959 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $587,826.