Surabaya is a large city located in Indonesia with a metropolitan area population of 2,765,487. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Surabaya on a budget of $1,083 per month, or $12,995 per year.
Cost of Living in Surabaya, Indonesia
As noted above, the cost of living in Surabaya, Indonesia is $1,083 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $424 for housing related costs, $444 for food, and $215 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Surabaya is estimated to cost $299
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $86
- High-speed internet averages $39
- Typical grocery costs of $208 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $186
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $51
- Meals out are estimated to be $82 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $26 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $89
- Cinema tickets of $18 include several outings for international releases
Note that Surabaya, Indonesia is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 99/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Surabaya, Indonesia
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Surabaya, Indonesia are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $324,870 to live a moderate lifestyle in Surabaya, Indonesia.
Annual expenses of $12,995 ÷ 4% = $324,870 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Surabaya, Indonesia is affordable coming in at $1,083 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $324,870.