Addis Ababa is a large city located in Ethiopia with a metropolitan area population of 2,757,729. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Addis Ababa on a budget of $1,853 per month, or $22,230 per year.
Cost of Living in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
As noted above, the cost of living in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is $1,853 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,193 for housing related costs, $320 for food, and $340 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Addis Ababa is estimated to cost $469
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $218
- High-speed internet averages $506
- Typical grocery costs of $250 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $49
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $21
- Meals out are estimated to be $165 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $29 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $127
- Cinema tickets of $19 include several outings for international releases
Note that Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is a somewhat walkable city with a Walk Score of 50/100, which means you may need a car if you are living in the city center and you will probably need to use public transportation frequently.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $555,753 to live a moderate lifestyle in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Annual expenses of $22,230 ÷ 4% = $555,753 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is affordable coming in at $1,853 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $555,753.