Antananarivo is a medium city located in Madagascar with a metropolitan area population of 710,236. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Antananarivo on a budget of $1,125 per month, or $13,502 per year.
Cost of Living in Antananarivo, Madagascar
As noted above, the cost of living in Antananarivo, Madagascar is $1,125 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $617 for housing related costs, $238 for food, and $270 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Antananarivo is estimated to cost $458
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $69
- High-speed internet averages $90
- Typical grocery costs of $172 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $39
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $27
- Meals out are estimated to be $92 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $14 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $136
- Cinema tickets of $28 include several outings for international releases
Note that Antananarivo, Madagascar is a not very walkable city with a Walk Score of 2/100, which means you definitely need a car if you are living in the city center and public transportation may not be very accessible or convenient.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Antananarivo, Madagascar
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Antananarivo, Madagascar are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $337,542 to live a moderate lifestyle in Antananarivo, Madagascar.
Annual expenses of $13,502 ÷ 4% = $337,542 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Antananarivo, Madagascar is affordable coming in at $1,125 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $337,542.