Lusaka is a large city located in Zambia with a metropolitan area population of 1,747,152. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Lusaka on a budget of $1,147 per month, or $13,760 per year.
Cost of Living in Lusaka, Zambia
As noted above, the cost of living in Lusaka, Zambia is $1,147 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $490 for housing related costs, $323 for food, and $334 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Lusaka is estimated to cost $309
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $126
- High-speed internet averages $55
- Typical grocery costs of $225 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $51
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $47
- Meals out are estimated to be $154 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $85 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $78
- Cinema tickets of $17 include several outings for international releases
Note that Lusaka, Zambia is a not very walkable city with a Walk Score of 40/100, which means you definitely need a car if you are living in the city center and public transportation may not be very accessible or convenient.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Lusaka, Zambia
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Lusaka, Zambia are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $344,004 to live a moderate lifestyle in Lusaka, Zambia.
Annual expenses of $13,760 ÷ 4% = $344,004 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Lusaka, Zambia is affordable coming in at $1,147 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $344,004.