Saint John is a small city located in Canada with a metropolitan area population of 70,785. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Saint John on a budget of $2,723 per month, or $32,670 per year.
Cost of Living in Saint John, Canada
As noted above, the cost of living in Saint John, Canada is $2,723 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,173 for housing related costs, $815 for food, and $734 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Saint John is estimated to cost $865
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $226
- High-speed internet averages $83
- Typical grocery costs of $586 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $122
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $107
- Meals out are estimated to be $432 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $151 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $99
- Cinema tickets of $51 include several outings for international releases
Note that Saint John, Canada is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 87/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Saint John, Canada
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Saint John, Canada are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $816,753 to live a moderate lifestyle in Saint John, Canada.
Annual expenses of $32,670 ÷ 4% = $816,753 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Saint John, Canada is affordable coming in at $2,723 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $816,753.