Hamilton is a medium city located in Canada with a metropolitan area population of 551,751. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Hamilton on a budget of $3,037 per month, or $36,449 per year.
Cost of Living in Hamilton, Canada
As noted above, the cost of living in Hamilton, Canada is $3,037 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,626 for housing related costs, $648 for food, and $763 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Hamilton is estimated to cost $1,394
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $152
- High-speed internet averages $81
- Typical grocery costs of $482 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $87
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $79
- Meals out are estimated to be $414 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $215 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $76
- Cinema tickets of $59 include several outings for international releases
Note that Hamilton, Canada is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 80/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Hamilton, Canada
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Hamilton, Canada are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $911,229 to live a moderate lifestyle in Hamilton, Canada.
Annual expenses of $36,449 ÷ 4% = $911,229 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Hamilton, Canada is affordable coming in at $3,037 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $911,229.