Fortaleza is a medium city located in Brazil with a metropolitan area population of 862,750. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Fortaleza on a budget of $844 per month, or $10,132 per year.
Cost of Living in Fortaleza, Brazil
As noted above, the cost of living in Fortaleza, Brazil is $844 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $325 for housing related costs, $272 for food, and $247 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Fortaleza is estimated to cost $227
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $78
- High-speed internet averages $20
- Typical grocery costs of $178 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $57
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $37
- Meals out are estimated to be $126 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $41 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $55
- Cinema tickets of $26 include several outings for international releases
Note that Fortaleza, Brazil is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 94/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Fortaleza, Brazil
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Fortaleza, Brazil are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $253,296 to live a moderate lifestyle in Fortaleza, Brazil.
Annual expenses of $10,132 ÷ 4% = $253,296 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Fortaleza, Brazil is affordable coming in at $844 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $253,296.