Rio De Janeiro is a large city located in Brazil with a metropolitan area population of 6,320,446. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Rio De Janeiro on a budget of $1,210 per month, or $14,521 per year.
Cost of Living in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
As noted above, the cost of living in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil is $1,210 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $552 for housing related costs, $277 for food, and $381 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Rio De Janeiro is estimated to cost $431
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $97
- High-speed internet averages $25
- Typical grocery costs of $188 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $54
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $35
- Meals out are estimated to be $185 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $99 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $67
- Cinema tickets of $31 include several outings for international releases
Note that Rio De Janeiro, Brazil is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 83/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $363,018 to live a moderate lifestyle in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.
Annual expenses of $14,521 ÷ 4% = $363,018 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil is affordable coming in at $1,210 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $363,018.