Columbus is a medium city located in Ohio with a metropolitan area population of 809,798. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Columbus on a budget of $3,230 per month, or $38,755 per year.
Cost of Living in Columbus, Ohio
As noted above, the cost of living in Columbus, Ohio is $3,230 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,806 for housing related costs, $667 for food, and $757 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Columbus is estimated to cost $1,489
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $239
- High-speed internet averages $78
- Typical grocery costs of $467 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $98
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $102
- Meals out are estimated to be $450 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $155 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $92
- Cinema tickets of $60 include several outings for international releases
Note that Columbus, Ohio is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 79/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Columbus, Ohio
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Columbus, Ohio are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $968,871 to live a moderate lifestyle in Columbus, Ohio.
Annual expenses of $38,755 ÷ 4% = $968,871 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Columbus, Ohio is affordable coming in at $3,230 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $968,871.