Fort Collins is a small city located in Colorado with a metropolitan area population of 148,612. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Fort Collins on a budget of $3,484 per month, or $41,805 per year.
Cost of Living in Fort Collins, Colorado
As noted above, the cost of living in Fort Collins, Colorado is $3,484 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $2,021 for housing related costs, $854 for food, and $609 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Fort Collins is estimated to cost $1,770
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $178
- High-speed internet averages $72
- Typical grocery costs of $607 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $125
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $123
- Meals out are estimated to be $338 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $88 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $134
- Cinema tickets of $50 include several outings for international releases
Note that Fort Collins, Colorado is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 91/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Fort Collins, Colorado
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Fort Collins, Colorado are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $1,045,113 to live a moderate lifestyle in Fort Collins, Colorado.
Annual expenses of $41,805 ÷ 4% = $1,045,113 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Fort Collins, Colorado is affordable coming in at $3,484 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $1,045,113.