Jacksonville is a medium city located in Florida with a metropolitan area population of 836,507. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Jacksonville on a budget of $3,182 per month, or $38,189 per year.
Cost of Living in Jacksonville, Florida
As noted above, the cost of living in Jacksonville, Florida is $3,182 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,734 for housing related costs, $724 for food, and $724 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Jacksonville is estimated to cost $1,470
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $174
- High-speed internet averages $90
- Typical grocery costs of $522 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $87
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $116
- Meals out are estimated to be $450 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $150 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $67
- Cinema tickets of $58 include several outings for international releases
Note that Jacksonville, Florida is a very walkable city with a Walk Score of 88/100, which means you won’t need a car if you are living in the city center and you may even save some money by not using public transportation and taxis very often.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Jacksonville, Florida
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Jacksonville, Florida are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $954,729 to live a moderate lifestyle in Jacksonville, Florida.
Annual expenses of $38,189 ÷ 4% = $954,729 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Jacksonville, Florida is affordable coming in at $3,182 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $954,729.