Jackson is a small city located in Mississippi with a metropolitan area population of 175,437. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Jackson on a budget of $3,119 per month, or $37,429 per year.
Cost of Living in Jackson, Mississippi
As noted above, the cost of living in Jackson, Mississippi is $3,119 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,696 for housing related costs, $748 for food, and $675 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Jackson is estimated to cost $1,266
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $332
- High-speed internet averages $98
- Typical grocery costs of $542 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $100
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $106
- Meals out are estimated to be $420 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $125 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $75
- Cinema tickets of $55 include several outings for international releases
Note that Jackson, Mississippi is a somewhat walkable city with a Walk Score of 52/100, which means you may need a car if you are living in the city center and you will probably need to use public transportation frequently.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Jackson, Mississippi
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Jackson, Mississippi are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $935,736 to live a moderate lifestyle in Jackson, Mississippi.
Annual expenses of $37,429 ÷ 4% = $935,736 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Jackson, Mississippi is affordable coming in at $3,119 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $935,736.