Springfield is a small city located in Missouri with a metropolitan area population of 162,191. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Springfield on a budget of $2,307 per month, or $27,687 per year.
Cost of Living in Springfield, Missouri
As noted above, the cost of living in Springfield, Missouri is $2,307 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $1,081 for housing related costs, $600 for food, and $626 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Springfield is estimated to cost $746
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $246
- High-speed internet averages $89
- Typical grocery costs of $396 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $98
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $106
- Meals out are estimated to be $345 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $150 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $71
- Cinema tickets of $60 include several outings for international releases
Note that Springfield, Missouri is a somewhat walkable city with a Walk Score of 73/100, which means you may need a car if you are living in the city center and you will probably need to use public transportation frequently.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Springfield, Missouri
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Springfield, Missouri are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $692,175 to live a moderate lifestyle in Springfield, Missouri.
Annual expenses of $27,687 ÷ 4% = $692,175 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Springfield, Missouri is affordable coming in at $2,307 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $692,175.