Waipahu is a small city located in Hawaii with a metropolitan area population of 38,216. A couple could live a moderate lifestyle in Waipahu on a budget of $3,772 per month, or $45,265 per year.
Cost of Living in Waipahu, Hawaii
As noted above, the cost of living in Waipahu, Hawaii is $3,772 per month for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. This budget consists of $2,113 for housing related costs, $944 for food, and $715 for other costs, all of which will be broken down below.
- A one-bedroom apartment in the city center of Waipahu is estimated to cost $1,691
- Basic utilities including electricity, water, and gas will run about $347
- High-speed internet averages $75
- Typical grocery costs of $720 per month include things like bread, eggs, milk, cheese, rice, chicken breast, bottled water, fruits, and vegetables
- Alcohol including beer and wine for moderate home consumption costs about $91
- Frequent coffees in a neighborhood café are estimated to be about $133
- Meals out are estimated to be $438 per month, including 4 meals in mid-range restaurants and 8 in inexpensive restaurants
- Transportation costs of $125 for public transport passes and occasional taxis
- Fitness center memberships of $93
- Cinema tickets of $60 include several outings for international releases
Note that Waipahu, Hawaii is a somewhat walkable city with a Walk Score of 72/100, which means you may need a car if you are living in the city center and you will probably need to use public transportation frequently.
Amount of Money Needed to Retire in Waipahu, Hawaii
Many people searching the internet for the cost of living in Waipahu, Hawaii are doing so to see if and when they can quit their jobs and retire. A popular and easy way to calculate your retirement number is using the 4% Rule.
The 4% Rule estimates that a person(s) could withdraw 4% of their retirement nest egg and never run out of money. Using this calculation, a couple would need an investment portfolio of $1,131,627 to live a moderate lifestyle in Waipahu, Hawaii.
Annual expenses of $45,265 ÷ 4% = $1,131,627 portfolio needed.
Of course, everyone’s financial situation is different, and the above calculation could change based on any other sources of passive income and social security income.
Overall, the cost of living in Waipahu, Hawaii is affordable coming in at $3,772 for a couple living a moderate lifestyle. Those seeking to retire could do so comfortably with a retirement portfolio of $1,131,627.